When you think of unique study-abroad destinations, North Korea might not be the first to come to mind. While the country may be associated with political headlines, it also offers a wealth of cultural and educational opportunities for international students. From learning about the country’s rich history and culture to exploring its unique academic landscape, studying in North Korea can be an adventure.
We’re here to shine a spotlight on the fully funded North Korea scholarships that are sure to pique the interest of students worldwide.
EDUFI Finland Fellowship Scholarships
For students with a passion for exploring the fascinating world of academia in North Korea, the EDUFI Fellowship Scholarships offer an unparalleled opportunity. These scholarships, which the Finnish National Agency for Education funds, provide funding for postgraduate students to conduct their doctoral studies in North Korea. Whether you are interested in the region’s rich history or its contemporary challenges, this scholarship will provide you with the means to explore the unique academic landscape of North Korea.
Who is eligible?
- Non-Finnish post-graduate students (with a Master’s degree) working on a doctoral thesis.
- Visiting doctoral-level students conducting research projects at a Finnish university with strong justification.
- Monthly allowance: 1,900 euros (increased from January 1, 2023) to cover living expenses in Finland.
- Duration: 3 to 12 months, with potential extension.
- Additional benefits: Health insurance, travel stipend, residence permit allowance, academic networking opportunities.
The EDUFI Fellowship Scholarships thus represent an unmissable opportunity for those scholars seeking a unique academic adventure in North Korea.
Hungary Government Scholarships 2024 (Stipendium Hungaricum)
Behold the Stipendium Hungaricum, a prestigious scholarship offering presented by none other than the Hungarian government. While it might initially seem this program is exclusively for scholars intending to study in Hungary, this isn’t the case. You’ll be pleasantly surprised to discover that this scholarship extends its generous reach to the enigmatic academic territory of
- Fully-funded: Covers tuition fees, monthly stipend, health insurance, travel allowance, and accommodation (or contribution to housing costs).
- Wide range of programs: Choose from over 800 Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral programs in various fields across Hungarian universities.
- Open to international students: From any country around the world.
- Application deadline: January 15, 2024 (don’t miss it!).
- Academic excellence: Strong academic record with GPA above 4.0 or equivalent.
- English language proficiency: Minimum TOEFL score of 80 or IELTS score of 6.5 (may vary depending on the program).
- Motivation and potential: Demonstrated strong motivation for studying in Hungary and potential for future career success.
So, if you’re intrigued by the prospect of studying in North Korea and are looking for a scholarship that addresses more than just your academic expenses, the Hungary Government’s Stipendium Hungaricum 2024 beckons.
ANSO Scholarship at UCAS University
For young scholars with big ambitions, the ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents can be a stepping stone to a bright future. This prestigious scholarship offers the opportunity to study at the prestigious University of Chinese Academy of Sciences in North Korea. For scholars from developing countries, this is a chance to expand their horizons and gain the skills and knowledge they need to make a difference in their home countries.
Who can apply?
- Non-Chinese citizens: You cannot be a Chinese citizen to be eligible for this scholarship.
- Pursuing postgraduate studies: This scholarship is only available for Master’s and PhD programs, not undergraduate studies.
- Applying to UCAS, USTC, or CAS institutes: You must be applying to a program at one of these three institutions:
- University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS)
- University of Science and Technology of China (USTC)
- Chinese Academy of Sciences institutes
- Age: You must be born after January 1st, 1994, for Master’s programs, and after January 1st, 1989, for PhD programs.
- Academic excellence: You must have a strong academic record, typically with a GPA above 3.5 or equivalent.
- Proficiency in English or Chinese: You must demonstrate proficiency in English or Chinese through standardized tests like TOEFL or IELTS for English, and HSK or CSC for Chinese.
- Good health: You must be in good health and able to undertake the academic program.
- Meeting program-specific requirements: Each program at UCAS may have additional requirements, so be sure to check with the specific program you’re interested in.
Remember, the ANSO Scholarship at UCAS University isn’t just about financial aid; it’s about opening up a world of opportunities. So, if you’re ready to embark on an academic adventure that is as unique as it is enriching, don’t let this opportunity slip away. Apply for the ANSO Scholarship today and set the stage for an unforgettable chapter in your academic journey.
China University of Petroleum International Scholarships
The China University of Petroleum is a renowned educational institution known for its cutting-edge research and educational excellence. With the help of this scholarship, you could be the next to join their esteemed alumni.
- Non-Chinese Citizenship: You must be a non-Chinese citizen to apply.
- Academic Excellence: High school graduates with excellent academic records are preferred for undergraduate scholarships. Master’s applicants need proven academic achievements related to their chosen field.
- Age: Generally, applicants should be under 25 for undergraduate programs and under 40 for Master’s programs.
- Health: You must be in good health.
- English Language Proficiency: TOEFL score of 60 or IELTS score of 5.5 (may vary depending on the program).
- Choose your program: Explore the available Bachelor’s or Master’s programs at CUP and select your desired one.
- Meet program requirements: Ensure you meet all the specific requirements of your chosen program.
- Prepare application materials: Gather the required documents, including:
- Completed online application form
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- English language proficiency certificate
- Other documents as required by the program
- Submit your application: Submit your completed application online through the CUP International Students Office website before the deadline (typically mid-June for undergraduate programs and early-March for Master’s programs).
- Selection process: Applicants are evaluated based on academic merit, research potential, personal statement, and other factors.
So, why not turn the page to this exciting new chapter in your academic journey? Apply for the China University of Petroleum International Scholarships and step into the realm of exceptional academic opportunities North Korea offers.
Does North Korea offer scholarships?
- There are limited formal scholarship programs specifically for international students to study in North Korea.
- Some universities might have research collaboration agreements with institutions outside North Korea, potentially involving opportunities for research visits with some financial support, though not necessarily full scholarships.
Can I get a fully funded scholarship in North Korea?
- Finding fully-funded scholarships for international students in North Korea is currently very challenging.
- Consider scholarship programs focusing on North Korean studies outside the country as an alternative path to gain expertise and potentially lead to future research opportunities in North Korea.
Does North Korea accept international students?
- North Korea does technically accept international students, but the process is highly restricted and controlled by the government.
- Obtaining visas and navigating the academic environment can be extremely difficult and subject to unpredictable political conditions.
Can I go to university in North Korea?
- Attending university in North Korea as an international student is not recommended due to:
- Limited access to information and academic freedom.
- Political sensitivity and ethical considerations.
- Restricted visa access and unpredictable political conditions.
Is English taught in North Korea?
- English is not widely spoken or taught in North Korea. Korean is the primary language of instruction in universities. Most students have limited English proficiency.
Applying for these scholarships is the first step towards an unforgettable academic journey. It’s about saying yes to the opportunity of immersing yourself in the enigmatic culture and intellectual richness of North Korea. It’s about embracing the challenge of understanding a country often misunderstood. Above all, it’s about becoming a part of a global student community, driven by curiosity, ambition, and a shared love for knowledge.
Remember, these scholarship opportunities aren’t just about the financial aid. They’re about opening doors to unique experiences and life-changing learning opportunities. They’re about building bridges between cultures and fostering a sense of global citizenship. And most importantly, they’re about empowering you to explore the world, one study program at a time.